The University of Malaya (UM) established the International Institute of Public Policy and Management (INPUMA) in August 1999.
After 20 years of excellence, INPUMA continues to become:
- A platform for the discussion of topical issues on public policy,
- A training centre for public administrators and managers,
- A source of new ideas on public policy
- A regional centre of excellence in public policy and public management studies.
The objectives of INPUMA are as follows:
- a source of new ideas on public policy and management,
- a research and training centre for public policy and management,
- a platform for discussion on topical issues in public policy and management,
- a conduit for sharing Malaysia's development experiences with other countries, and
- promotion of regional and international co-operation and understanding.
To achieve these objectives, INPUMA focuses on the following five fields of studies:
- Public and Economic Policy and Development Planning,
- Governance, Management and Administration,
- Human Development,
- Science, Technology and Environmental Management, and
- International Studies.